Wednesday, March 4, 2015

The Importance of Balance (post 16)

I value diversity, but I also value searching for common ground.
I value freedom, but also commitment to common goals.
I value power, but also humility.
Competition and cooperation.
Wealth, but more so charity.
Truth and uncertainty.

We continuously search for optimal paths for ourselves, our families and the world.
In this search we face a multitude of trade-offs and contradictions.
Our choices are rarely binary - they most often include a spectrum of options.
The optimal path almost never is found on the extremes or in the exact center - but those are the most obvious places to look, and too often they are the only choices we bother to consider.

Fulfilling our purpose requires balance.
Balance is never accomplished - because it never remains in one place.

Your path is discovered by moving, walking, one step in front of the other.
Walking holds a wonderful lesson concerning balance.
Walking is a process of repeatedly losing one's balance, then recovering it, only to lose it again.

On my walk I am searching for my purpose.
I am also searching for something I believe is deeply connected to that purpose - community.

Community is many things.
It is people living together, more or less, in a common space.
It is people searching together, more or less, for common values.
It is people moving together, more or less, towards common goals.
It is giving up some freedom and some independence in order to experience something greater than yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment